The Allure of Greece
Greece. It’s one of those European destinations that is either on people’s “must visit” list, or their “must return” list. I recently spent a week in this amazingly beautiful and interesting country.
With a unique mix of ancient history, beaches, shopping, picturesque streets and rugged beauty, the islands of Greece are an amazing way to get a range of experiences. I spent three nights on Crete and three nights on Mykonos...and wish I would have had more time to see even more!
Here are a few highlights: • If you love gyros as much as I do, grab one at Leonidas in Mykonos. The tzatziki sauce there is incredible. It was so delicious, we went back the next day for lunch. • Visit Agreco Farms on Crete. This farm provides many of the products you find at Amirandes Resort and Mykonos Blu Resort. They grow olives and press them on site for olive oil and beauty products, grow wheat for bread and grapes for wine, raise animals for the milk, eggs and meat, house bees for honey, and so much more. The setting of the farm is so beautiful with rolling hills diving towards the Mediterranean Sea.
• Shop for handmade crafts and gifts. You can score leather goods, olive oil, donkey milk (yes, it’s truly a thing) and goat milk beauty products, scarves, pottery, and of course local wine.
• Explore the seaside streets of Greek towns and enjoy a local meal.
• Hire a private guide to take you to Delos, a UNESCO world heritage site, which is the mythological birthplace of Apollo and Artemis. It was a religious center during the 1st millennium B.C.E. Many antiquities from the Archaic, Classical and Hellenistic periods have been excavated there and placed in the museum on island. You can still see original mosaics, pillars that used to hold up temples, statues that are larger than life, an amphitheater and a true sense of the splendor of Greece’s history.
• Walk the streets of Mykonos to capture picturesque images of their white painted streets and their iconic windmills. And, of course, shop!
• Spend your day at the beach or pool and enjoy the aqua blue colors of the Mediterranean Sea. If you like to snorkel, the waters are clear and full of sea life.
• Sail around the islands to take in the rugged beauty from a different perspective. These are usually scheduled before sunset so you can enjoy the pink, purple and orange hues of the sky that are sure to arrive.
Amazing Resort Properties Greece has many beautiful, unique hotels and resorts throughout the country. I was fortunate to stay at two amazing properties while I was on the islands.
On Crete I experienced the Amirandes Grecotel Exclusive Resort. It’s a beachfront 5-star luxury resort, perfect for couples and families. With multiple pools, an exclusive beach, water sports, spa, tennis facilities, gorgeous rooms, fabulous restaurants and only 15 minutes from the airport, you cannot go wrong. And when you book through Pique Travel, we’re able to get you Virtuoso amenities, including: • Room Upgrade to the next available room type subject to availability • Early check in & late check out subject to availability • Welcome amenity in the room on the arrival day • Daily American Buffet breakfast • A 3-course lunch or dinner for 2 once during stay (excluding beverages) • 10% discount at the unique organic Agreco Farm experience and Taverna • Complimentary selected gift from our Agreco Farm with Bio products upon departure
While I was on Mykonos, I stayed at the Mykonos Blu. This is also a beachfront 5-star luxury resort, but is set in the hills above the world-famous beach, Psarou. I recommend this resort because it’s secluded from the hustle and bustle of Mykonos, but just a 5-minute drive into town where all the action is. I highly recommend the Honeymoon Suite, it has so much beautiful space, including three balconies overlooking the sea, and space to sit down for a meal or lounge back on the oversized couch to enjoy the Aegean views.
When you book this resort with Pique, you receive the following Virtuoso amenities: • Complimentary Room Upgrade to the next available room type subject to hotel’s availability • Complimentary round transfers from/to the airport or port • Welcome amenity with wine fruits & sweets in the room on the arrival day • Complimentary Daily American Buffet breakfast • A 3-course lunch or dinner for 2 once during stay (excluding beverages) • Early check in/late check out subject to availability • Complimentary Wi-Fi
Want to learn more about Greece? Email Liz Matassa at LizM@Piquetravel.com.